Electric scooters have grown in popularity over time. They are a fun, convenient way to get around town, and they are also environmentally friendly. However, if you don’t take care of your electric scooter, it will not last very long. One of the most important things you can do to take care of your electric scooter is to waterproof it. Here, we will go over how to make your e-scooter waterproof and some tips for Base Maintenance.
What To Know?
Before you start, there are a few things you should know about waterproofing your electric scooter:
- First, it’s important to understand that there is no such thing as a “waterproof” scooter. Waterproofing your scooter simply means making it more resistant to water damage. It’s still possible for water to damage your scooter, even if it’s been waterproofed;
- Second, you should only waterproof the parts of your scooter that are exposed to the elements. There’s no need to waterproof the parts of your scooter that are protected from the weather, like the battery or motor;
- Third, when choosing a waterproofing product, make sure it is compatible with your scooter’s material. Some waterproofing products can damage certain materials, so it’s important to read the labels carefully;
- Finally, don’t forget to test your scooter after waterproofing it. Take it for a spin in the rain or in a puddle to ensure everything is working as it should;
How To Waterproof Your Electric Scooter?
There are two main ways: by using a spray-on product or by applying a sealant. Let’s take a look at each method in more detail:
- Spray-on products are the easiest way to waterproof your scooter. Simply spray the product onto the exposed parts of your scooter and let it dry. These products typically last for several months, but you’ll need to re-apply them after each wash;
- Sealants are a more permanent solution, but they can be more difficult to apply. First, you’ll need to clean the exposed parts of your scooter with soap and water. Then, apply the sealant according to the instructions on the packaging. Sealants typically last for several years, but they may need to be reapplied if your scooter is frequently exposed to water;
Whichever method you choose, make sure you follow the instructions carefully. Waterproofing your scooter is an important way to protect it from water damage, but it’s not a perfect solution. Be sure to test your scooter after waterproofing it and keep an eye out for any signs of water damage.
How To Know Your Scooter’s Waterproof Rating?
To find out your scooter’s waterproof rating, simply check the manufacturer’s website or product manual.
Why Should You Waterproof Your Scooter?
Your scooter is a valuable purchase, and you should do everything possible to keep it from weather damage. Waterproofing will help extend its life and keep it running smoothly.
Water can damage electronics. There are a few different ways to waterproof your scooter, and we’ll go over them all in this guide.
As you know, e-scooters are perfect for commuting to work or school, running errands, or just getting some fresh air. But what do you do when it rains? Or when you want to ride through a puddle?
Here are some tips and tricks:
- Use silicone spray: This is an easy and inexpensive way. Just spray the entire scooter (including the battery) with silicone spray and let it dry. This will create a barrier that will help repel water;
- Apply wax: Another easy way is to apply a layer of wax. This will also create a barrier against water and help keep the scooter clean;
- Use a cover: When it’s not in use, ensure to cover your electric scooter with a tarp. This will protect it from the elements and extend its lifespan;
Dry Your Scooter if It’s Wet, Use a Cloth or A Wet-Dry Vacuum Cleaner
If you live in an area prone to flooding, it’s a good idea to waterproof your el. scooter. There are a few different ways you can do this, and the best method will depend on the materials your scooter is made of and how often it is used in wet conditions.
One way to waterproof your electric scooter is to treat it with a waterproofing spray or sealant. This will create a barrier between the water and the scooter, preventing the water from damaging the materials. You can find these sprays and sealants at most hardware stores.
Another way is to cover it with a tarp or plastic sheet when it’s not in use. This will protect it from the elements and keep it dry. You can also buy covers specifically designed for electric scooters.
If you use your electric scooter in wet conditions frequently, you may want to consider investing in a waterproof cover for the entire scooter. These covers are made of durable materials that will protect your scooter from the elements and keep it dry. You can find these covers at most sporting goods stores.
Don’t Fold the Scooter When Wet
If you need to transport your scooter in a car or on public transportation, ensure it is dry before folding it up. Wet scooters can be very heavy, and folding them can damage the materials. If possible, transport your scooter in a bag or container to keep it dry.
Don’t Ride in Rain, Snow, Hailstorm, Ice, Mud, Or Puddles of Water
This is the most important rule when it comes to waterproofing your electric scooter. Water and electricity do not mix well and you don’t want to risk damaging your scooter or worse, injuring yourself.
If you must ride in the rain, snow, or on wet roads, ensure you have a good quality set of lights so that you can see where you’re going and be seen by other road users. Slow down and take extra care when braking as it will take longer for your brakes to work effectively in wet conditions.
Some electric scooters are designed to be more weatherproof than others with features such as fenders (mudguards) and sealed bearings that keep water out. If you live in an area with a lot of rain or snow, it’s worth checking out scooters that have been designed specifically for wet-weather riding.
If you do get caught in the rain or snow, ensure you dry off your electric scooter as soon as possible afterward to prevent any water from damaging the electronics.
Get A Waterproof Cover:
- The first and most obvious way to waterproof your scooter is to get a cover. You can find covers specifically designed for electric scooters, or you can use a tarp or something similar. If you live in an area with a lot of rain, snow, or other precipitation, a cover is essential;
- Another option is to park your scooter in a garage or shed when it’s not in use. This will protect it from the elements and keep it clean;
- If you don’t have access to a garage or shed, try parking your scooter under an overhang or porch. This won’t protect it from all the weather, but it will help;
Dress for Rainy or Bad Weather
If you’re caught in a storm, make sure you’re wearing the right gear. You don’t want your clothes to get soaked, so dress in layers that you can easily take off if necessary. Wear a raincoat or poncho to keep yourself dry, and always carry a spare set of clothes in case you get wet. Be sure to wear shoes that have good traction; slippery shoes are dangerous on wet surfaces. 
If you can, avoid riding in heavy rain or storms altogether. If the weather is bad enough, it’s best to just stay indoors.
Most e-scooters come with some kind of weather-resistant coating, but you can further improve their water resistance by making a few modifications. For example, you can:
- Add sealant to exposed electrical components;
- Use silicone caulk to fill in any gaps or cracks;
- Apply a clear coat of spray paint over the entire scooter;
By taking these extra steps, you’ll ensure that your electric scooter can withstand even the heaviest downpours.
Tape The Gaps in The Deck
If you have an electric scooter with a deck, it’s important to waterproof the gaps between the deck and the body. You can do this by taping over the gaps with clear packing tape or duct tape. Make sure to press the tape down firmly so that no water can get through.
It’s also a good idea to tape over any openings in the body of the scooter. This will help prevent water damage to the electrical components.
Finally, make sure to apply a generous amount of wax or silicone spray to the entire surface of your scooter. This will create a barrier against moisture and help keep your e-scooter looking like new.
Carry Some Duct Tape with You and Tape Over the Charging Port
This will help keep water from seeping in and ruining your battery. Also, if you have a hole in your scooter somewhere, duct tape can help patch that up too!
If you’re caught in a heavy downpour, try to find shelter as soon as possible. If you can’t make it to the shelter, then stop and turn off your scooter. Let the rain pass before turning it back on and continuing on your way.
Put O-Rings Around Non-Sealed Screws and Holes with Wires or Cables
You can buy o-rings from most hardware stores, and they’re relatively cheap. Just make sure to get the right size for your particular electric scooter model. To install them, simply place them around the screws or holes before you screw/bolt everything back in place. This will create a waterproof seal that will keep water and moisture out.
Another way is to use silicone sealant. You can find this at most hardware stores as well. Simply apply a generous amount of silicone sealant around any exposed wires or cables, as well as any screws or bolts.
If you’re really looking to go the extra mile, you can also apply a layer of waterproof tape over any exposed wires or cables. This will provide an additional layer of protection against water and moisture. You can find waterproof tape at most hardware stores as well.
Another way to help prolong the life of your electric scooter is to regularly clean and maintain it. This includes things like cleaning the wheels and tires, as well as the body of the scooter. It’s also important to regularly check the brakes and make sure they’re in good working order. By taking good care of your electric scooter, you can help ensure that it lasts for many years to come.
Waterproof With Silicone Or Loctite
The first step is to identify any areas where water can enter the scooter. This includes cracks, crevices, and gaps around removable parts like the battery cover. Once you’ve found all the potential entry points, seal them with a layer of silicone or Loctite.
This will create a waterproof barrier that will keep water out and prevent rust and corrosion. You may need to reapply these sealants every few months to ensure they remain effective.
If your electric scooter is exposed to salt water, rinse it off as soon as possible to prevent damage. Saltwater is highly corrosive and can cause extensive damage to metal parts.
Protect the Power Button, the Screen, and The Throttle
To waterproof your electric scooter, you’ll need to start by protecting the power button, the screen, and the throttle. You can do this by using a sealant or tape to create a barrier between these parts and the water. You should also make sure that any exposed wires are well insulated so that they don’t short-circuit when they come into contact with water.
Once you’ve taken care of those three things, you can move on to waterproofing the rest of your scooter. The best way to do this is to use a spray-on sealant. This will create a protective layer that will keep water out while still allowing air and moisture to pass through.
Make sure that you evenly coat all of the exposed parts of your scooter. You don’t want to leave any spots unprotected, as this could lead to water damage.
Once you’ve sprayed the sealant on, you’ll need to let it dry for at least 24 hours before taking your scooter out in the rain or riding it through puddles. This will give the sealant time to fully cure and create a strong barrier against water.
Extend The Mudguard
This is a useful tip whether you’re caught in a sudden rainstorm or driving through puddles. By extending the mudguard, you can keep water from splashing up onto your electric scooter and getting the motor wet.
Another way is to invest in a waterproof cover. These covers are designed to fit over the entire scooter and protect it from the elements. They typically have a drawstring closure that helps keep them snug against the scooter body. Waterproof covers are great for storage or when bad weather is expected.
If you don’t want to purchase a separate cover, you can also try using a garbage bag. This won’t be as effective as a purpose-made cover, but it’s better than nothing. Place the garbage bag over the scooter and secure it with tape or a bungee cord.
Whenever possible, avoid riding through puddles or standing water. This can cause water to enter the motor housing and damage the electric scooter. If you must ride through water, do so slowly and carefully to minimize the amount of water that gets inside the scooter.
Another way to protect your electric scooter from water damage is to regularly maintain it. Cleaning and lubricating the moving parts will help keep them in good condition and less susceptible to rust or corrosion. Inspect the scooter for any signs of water damage after each ride, and ensure to dry it off as soon as possible if it does get wet.
Waterproof The Connectors
The first step is to waterproof the connectors. You can do this by using a sealant or tape. Make sure that you seal the connections completely so that no water can get in.
You should also consider waterproofing the battery compartment. This will help to keep the battery dry and protected from any moisture. You can use a sealant or tape for this as well.
Another area that you will want to waterproof is the motor area.
The last thing you will want to do is to waterproof the control panel. This is important because if water gets into the control panel, it could cause the scooter to malfunction. You can use a sealant or tape for this as well.
Waterproof Electronics (Risky)
This is a more difficult and risky method, but it can be done. You will need to disassemble your scooter to get to the electronics. Once you have access to the electronics, you will need to apply a waterproofing spray or sealant. Be sure to follow the instructions on the product you are using. This method is not recommended for beginners.
Applying a waterproofing spray or sealant to your electric scooter’s electronics is a more difficult and risky method, but it can be done if you’re careful. You’ll first need to disassemble your scooter so that you can access the electronic components. Once they’re exposed, simply follow the instructions on whichever waterproofing product you choose to use. 
Grease the Motor Wheel Axles
The first thing you need to do is grease the motor wheel axles. This will help to keep water from getting into the bearings and rusting them.
You can use any type of grease, but we recommend using a waterproof grease like Marine Grease:
- Apply a small amount of grease to your finger and rub it onto the axle;
- Then, re-assemble the wheels and make sure that they turn freely. If you have already assembled the wheels, you can still apply grease to the axles. Just remove the wheels and follow the same process as above;
- Once you have applied grease to the axles, it’s time to move on to waterproofing the electronics;
Waterproofing the electronics is a pretty simple process. All you need to do is apply a liberal amount of silicone grease to all of the exposed electrical connections. This includes the battery terminals, motor leads, and any other exposed wires.
Make sure that you get a good amount of silicone grease into each connection point. You want there to be a thick layer of grease so that no water can get through.
Thus, you are finished waterproofing your e-scooter! Now it’s time to go enjoy riding in the rain!
Can I make my electric scooter waterproof?
The simple answer is yes, you can make your electric scooter waterproof. Anyway, there are a few things to keep in mind before attempting this. Waterproofing your e-scooter is not a difficult task, but it does require some planning and preparation.
In order to prepare, you will need to take the following steps. First, you will need to clean your e-scooter thoroughly. Any dirt or grime on the surface of your electric scooter will make it more difficult for the waterproofing material to adhere properly. Second, remove any loose parts from your electric scooter. This includes anything that is not permanently attached, such as mirrors or lights. Once these items have been removed, you can begin applying the waterproofing material.
There are a variety of different materials that can be used for waterproofing. The most popular option is a spray-on waterproofing material. This can be applied easily and evenly, and it will provide a good level of protection. Another option is to use a liquid waterproofing material. This option is more difficult to apply, but it will create a stronger barrier against water damage.
Once you have chosen the waterproofing material you want to use, you will need to follow the instructions on the packaging carefully. In general, you will need to apply the material evenly across the surface of your electric scooter. It is important to ensure that all areas are covered completely, as even small gaps can allow water damage to occur. Once the waterproofing material has been applied, you should allow it to dry completely before using your e-scooter again.
Can an electric scooter be left in the rain?
It’s a common question we get asked, and the answer is yes! An electric scooter can be left in the rain. However, there are a few things you should keep in mind to ensure your scooter stays in good condition.
Here are a few tips:
- Make sure all the electrical components on your scooter are well protected. This includes the battery, controller, motor, and any other exposed wires. You can do this by using sealant or tape to cover up any openings;
- If possible, avoid leaving your scooter out in heavy rains or for extended periods of time. If you do need to leave it out, make sure it’s parked in a covered area;
- Inspect your scooter regularly for any water damage. This includes rusting on the metal parts or moisture in the electrical components. If you see any signs of damage, take your scooter to a qualified technician to get it fixed ;
What do you do if your electric scooter has water damage?
If you’re lucky, you may be able to fix the problem yourself. But if the damage is extensive, you may need to replace your scooter. Here’s a guide to help you troubleshoot the problem and make an informed decision about what to do next:
- First, try to figure out where the water came from. If it was from the rain or a puddle, there’s a good chance that the water didn’t get into any of the electrical components. But if it was submerged in water, chances are that some of the parts will need to be replaced;
- Next, take a look at all of the electric components on your scooter. If any of them are wet, use a hairdryer to carefully dry them off. If the water has gotten into the battery, you’ll need to remove it and let it dry out before recharging it;
- If the damage is more extensive, you may need to take your scooter to a repair shop. But before you do that, check with your manufacturer to see if they offer any warranty or protection plan for water damage;
In most cases, e-scooters are not covered by homeowners’ insurance. So if your scooter is totaled, you’ll be responsible for the entire cost of replacement.
The best way to avoid having to replace your e-scooter is to prevent water damage in the first place. That means keeping it out of the rain and away from puddles. If you must ride in the rain, make careful to dry your scooter afterward. 
And if you’re ever caught in a flood, move your scooter to higher ground immediately.
Are most electric scooters waterproof?
The short answer is no, most e-scooters are not waterproof. In fact, even some of the more expensive models on the market today are not 100% waterproof. Below are a few tips to help you keep your e-scooter in good condition despite harsh weather conditions:
- One of the best ways is to invest in a good quality cover. There are a variety of covers on the market specifically designed for e-scooters. These covers will help keep your scooter dry and protected from the elements when not in use;
- Another way is to regularly apply a coat of sealant or wax. This will create an additional barrier of protection against moisture;
- Finally, if you do happen to get your e-scooter wet, dry it off ASAP. Water can cause serious damage to the electrical components of your scooter and should be avoided if at all possible ;
Most people don’t realize this but one of the best ways to protect anything electronic is by using a surge protector.
Surge protectors will not only save your devices from water damage but power surges as well.
We recommend using a surge protector with any electronic device, not just e-scooters.
You can never be too safe when it comes to your electronics!
Useful Video: How to Weather Proof and Winterize your E-Scooter
Waterproofing your e-scooter is the best way to keep it safe from water damage. However, it is important to remember that no matter how well you waterproof your e-scooter, it will never be completely waterproof. If you do decide to waterproof, be sure to follow the instructions carefully and allow the material to dry before using your e-scooter again. With a little bit of care, you can enjoy many years of use from your waterproofed e-scooter. Thanks for reading!