Mascara is a cosmetic that is used to enhance the appearance of the eyelashes. It comes in two varieties: waterproof and regular. So which one is better? In this article, we will discuss the pros and cons of both types of mascara and help you decide which one is right for you!
Why Do We Use Mascara?
Mascara is one of the most popular cosmetic products in the world. It is used to enhance the appearance of our eyelashes and make them look longer, thicker, and more defined.
Mascara can be made from various materials, including synthetic fibers, natural fibers, or a combination of both. The type of mascara you use will depend on your personal preference and what you are looking to achieve with your lashes.
So, which type of mascara is better? Let’s take a closer look at the pros and cons of each to help you decide.
Waterproof Mascara: Pros
- Resists water and sweat, making it ideal for those with oily skin or who live in humid climates;
- Does not smudge or run, even if you perspire or get caught in the rain;
- Lasts longer than regular mascara, so you don’t need to reapply as often;
- Great for special occasions when you want your makeup to look perfect all night long;
Waterproof Mascara: Cons
- Can be difficult to remove and may require special cleansers or makeup removers;
- May cause your lashes to appear dry and brittle over time;
- Can be more expensive than regular mascara;
Regular Mascara: Pros
- Easier to apply and remove;
- Moisturizes your lashes, making them look healthier over time;
- Less expensive than waterproof mascara;
Regular Mascara: Cons
- Not as resistant to water and may smudge if you perspire or get caught in the rain;
- Requires more frequent reapplication;
Waterproof Mascara vs. Washable Mascara: What’s the Difference?
However, waterproof mascaras can be difficult to remove at the end of the day. You’ll need a special eye makeup remover or oil-based cleanser to break down the formula so it doesn’t tug at your delicate lashes. Regular mascaras are much easier to take off with just soap and water.
If you have sensitive eyes or wear contact lenses, you may want to stick with regular mascara. If you have a busy lifestyle or are prone to allergies, waterproof mascara is a good option. You can also use both types of mascaras – waterproof for special occasions and regular for everyday wear.
Don’t Lash Out – Things To Consider Before Making a Purchase
There are a couple of things to keep in mind when selecting mascara.
First, what is your purpose for wearing mascara? Do you need it for an event where you’ll be crying or sweating? Are you looking for a more natural look? W/proof or regular mascara might be the best option for you depending on your personal preferences, lifestyle, and skin type.
Another thing to consider is your lashes. If you have short, sparse lashes, regular mascara may be a better option as it can add length and volume. Waterproof mascaras tend to be more drying and can make short lashes appear even shorter.
Finally, think about the formula. Mascaras that are waterproof, on the other hand, are often more drying and may irritate sensitive eyes or be a skin irritant. Waterproof mascara, on the other hand, is beneficial for individuals with oily skin and who live in hot or humid climates since it helps to keep their lashes looking clean and healthy.
How Active Are You?
When selecting mascara, you should also consider your lifestyle. If you’re active and tend to sweat or rub your eyes often, invest in w/proof mascara as it is more long-lasting and won’t smudge. However, if you have dry skin or don’t typically rub your eyes, regular mascara should be fine.
Where Do You Live?
Another thing to consider is your climate. If you live in a humid climate, w/proof mascara is a good option as it will help prevent your lashes from drooping. If you live in a dry climate, regular mascara should be fine.
Long, Luscious, or Fine and Fragile?
Your lash type is also an important factor to consider when choosing mascara. If you have long, thick lashes, w/proof mascara can be a great option as it will help hold a curl and prevent smudging.
Keep these factors in mind the next time to decide.
Do You Wear Contact Lenses?
Another thing to keep in mind is if you wear contact lenses. If you do, waterproof mascara is a better option as it will not smudge or run if your lenses happen to get wet. However, if you don’t wear contact lenses, regular mascara should be fine. 
Waterproof vs. Regular Mascara: Pros and Cons
When it comes to mascara, there are two main types: waterproof and regular. W/proof mascara is designed to withstand water, sweat, and tears. It’s ideal for anyone who wants their makeup to last all day or night. Regular mascara is not as resistant to water and can be removed more easily with makeup remover. Here’s a look at the pros and cons of each.
- Will not budge, even when exposed to water or sweat;
- Ideal for those with sensitive eyes or who wear contact lenses;
- Can help your lashes look longer and fuller;
- More difficult to remove;
- Can cause lashes to feel dry and brittle;
- Easier to remove;
- Can be reapplied throughout the day if needed;
- Great for everyday wear;
- Not as long-wearing;
- May smudge or run if exposed to water or sweat ;
So, Which Is Better?
The answer to this question is not as simple as you might think. Here are a few things to consider:
- Your lashes: If your lashes are thinner and shorter, then regular mascara is probably a better choice. This is because waterproof mascaras can sometimes be too heavy for thinner lashes, and they can end up looking clumpy and spidery. On the other hand, if you have thicker, longer lashes, then w/proof mascara might be the way to go;
- Your makeup routine: If you are someone who likes to take their time with their makeup routine, then regular mascara is a better option for you. On the other hand, if you are someone who is always on the go and doesn’t have a lot of time to spend on their makeup, then waterproof mascara might be the way to go. It won’t require any touch-ups throughout the day;
- Your budget: W/proof mascaras tend to be a bit more expensive;
Your personal preference: The decision of which type of mascara is best for you comes down to your personal preference. If you like the way that regular mascara looks and feels on your lashes, then there is no reason to switch to w/proof mascara. However, if you find that waterproof mascaras give you the look and feel that you are going for, then by all means, make the switch!
What is better, normal or waterproof mascara?
This is a tough call since it is subjective to the individual. Even if you cry or sweat, some individuals prefer w/proof mascara since it does not smear or run. Regular mascara can be easier to remove at the end of the day and some people find it less irritating to their eyes. 
It is up to you to decide which type is better for you. If you have sensitive eyes or skin, then you might want to try regular mascara first. If your goal is a mascara that stays put from morning until night, consider choosing a w/proof formula.
Is waterproof mascara better for your eyes?
The simple answer is no. W/proof mascara is not necessarily better for your eyes. In fact, some w/proof mascaras can actually be more irritating to the eyes than regular mascaras because they contain more chemicals and preservatives. However, if you have sensitive eyes or are prone to allergies, use hypoallergenic w/proof mascara.
There are also several other factors to consider:
- One of the most important factors is what type of look you’re going for. If you’re looking for a natural look, then regular mascara will probably be just fine. But if you’re going for a more dramatic look, then w/proof one might be a better option ;
- Also, consider how often you intend on wearing w/proof mascara;
- Finally, you’ll also want to take into account your own personal preferences. Some people find that they prefer the way regular mascara feels on their lashes, while others find that waterproof mascaras give them a more defined look;
So ultimately, the decision of whether or not to use waterproof mascara is up to you.
If you’re still undecided, there’s no harm in trying out both types of mascaras and seeing which one works better for you. And who knows? You might even find that you like both equally!
Is it ok to wear waterproof mascara every day?
Most people don’t need to wear w/proof mascara every day. If you have oily skin or live in a humid climate, you might need to use it more often. Waterproof mascara is also a good choice if you’ll be swimming or sweating. Otherwise, regular mascara is fine for everyday use. 
Can I wear waterproof mascara if I have sensitive eyes?
If you have sensitive eyes, you can still wear w/proof mascara. Just be sure to choose a hypoallergenic formula that’s been tested by an ophthalmologist. You may also want to avoid mascaras with fragrances or other harsh chemicals. 
What are the best tips for applying waterproof mascara?
Here are some tips for getting the best results from your waterproof mascara:
- Start with clean, dry lashes. Use an oil-free makeup remover to remove any traces of dirt, oil, or makeup;
- Apply a thin layer of primer to your lashes. This will help the mascara adhere better and prevent it from smudging;
- Use a waterproof mascara formula that’s specifically designed for sensitive eyes;
- Coat your lashes evenly from root to tip. Use a light hand so you don’t end up with clumps;
- Keep your eyes shut or blink minimally until the mascara has dried. Otherwise, it might flake off or smear;
Useful Video: Which Top WATERPROOF Mascara is really the BEST?
Overall, waterproof mascara is a great choice if you need your makeup to last all day or night. However, regular mascara can be just as good if used correctly. Waterproof mascara can be more difficult to remove, so make sure you have a good makeup remover on hand. Regular mascara may smudge more easily, but it is easier to fix if you make a mistake. Ultimately, the decision between waterproof and regular mascara comes down to personal taste and what works best for your lifestyle. Thanks for reading!